Thursday, January 26, 2006

Oh, For Holiness - David Brainerd

When I really enjoy God, I feel my desires of him the more insatiable, and my thirstings after holiness the more unquenchable….Oh, for holiness! Oh, for more of God in my soul! Oh, this pleasing pain! It makes my soul press after God….Oh, that I may feel this continual hunger, and not be retarded, but rather animated by every “cluster from Cannan,” To reach forward in the narrow way, for the full enjoyment and possession of the heavenly inheritance. Oh, that I might never loiter on my heavenly journey!

David Brainerd

5 Comments:

At Thursday, January 26, 2006 9:40:00 PM, Blogger missmellifluous said...

My littlest boy, Micah, tells me that sometimes he feels like he will "just explode" because he loves God so much.

 
At Thursday, January 26, 2006 10:31:00 PM, Blogger Gordon said...

Good post, Doug. David Brainerd was such a wonderful example of holiness and devotion to God. I must confess that reading about him causes me to be ashamed of myself.

 
At Friday, January 27, 2006 7:02:00 AM, Blogger Correy said...

Just think he died at age 29. He has an amazing conversion story and his journals that Jonathan Edwards edited and published have inspired so many people.

 
At Saturday, January 28, 2006 3:31:00 AM, Blogger Bob Hayton said...

Oh to be ever "reach(ing) forward in the narrow way, for the full enjoyment and possession of the heavenly inheritance"!

Great quote, thanks for sharing it.

 
At Saturday, January 28, 2006 5:51:00 PM, Blogger mark pierson said...

Thanks for sharing that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home