Saturday, April 22, 2006

A Few Quotes on Christian Zeal

"I preached as never sure to preach again, and as a dying man to dying men."

-Richard Baxter-

“It is no marvel that the devil does not love field preaching! Neither do I; I love a commodious room, a soft cushion, a handsome pulpit. But where is my zeal if I do not trample all these underfoot in order to save one more soul?”

-John Wesley-

"The true man of God is heartsick, grieved at the worldliness of the Church...grieved at the toleration of sin in the Church, grieved at the prayerlessness in the Church. He is disturbed that the corporate prayer of the Church no longer pulls down the strongholds of the devil."

-Leonard Ravenhill-

"I care not where I go, or how I live, or what I endure so that I may save souls. When I sleep I dream of them; when I awake they are first in my thoughts…no amount of scholastic attainment, of able and profound exposition of brilliant and stirring eloquence can atone for the absence of a deep impassioned sympathetic love for human souls."

-David Brainerd-

2 Comments:

At Saturday, April 22, 2006 9:52:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug,
Would that I had the heart of Leonard Ravenhill, and David Brainerd.
These quotes are really great and convicting.

 
At Saturday, April 22, 2006 1:54:00 PM, Blogger Modern Day Magi said...

truely challenging statments.

Might I add one from Spurgeon:
"If sinners be dammed, at least let them leap to Hell over our bodies. If they will perish, let them perish with our arms about their knees. Let no one GO there UNWARNED and UNPRAYED for."
If I remember correctly you did a post about this one a while back.

and one from Kieth Green:
"I'd rather have people hate me with the knowledge that I tried to save them."

and one from Elton Trueblood:
"Evangelism is not a professional job for a few trained men, but is instead the unrelenting responsibility of every person who belongs to the company of Jesus."

MDM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home