Monday, February 25, 2008

How Many Scripture Refrences Can You Find?

Charles Spurgeon once said of John Bunyon "prick John Bunyan...he will bleed Bible." I am currently reading through Pilgrims Progress for my fourth time and as always I am amazed at how many Scripture references can be found on every page. So with that in mind here is the opening paragraph from when Christian meets faithful. How many scripture verses can you find alluded to in this passage?

"As Christian went on his way, he came to a hill which was cast up on purpose that pilgrims might see before them. Up Christian went; and looking forward, he saw Faithful before him upon his journey. Then said Christian aloud, “Ho, ho! So-ho! stay, and I will be your companion.” At that Faithful looked behind him, and Christian cried again, “Stay, stay, till I come up to you.” But Faithful answered “No, I am fleeing for my life, and the avenger of blood is behind me.”
At this Christian was somewhat moved; and putting forth all his strength, he quickly got up with Faithful, and outran him: so the last was first. Then did Christian boastfully smile, because he had gotten in front of his brother; but, not taking good heed to his feet, he suddenly stumbled and fell, and could not rise again until Faithful came up to help him."

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At Monday, February 25, 2008 2:30:00 PM, Blogger Doug E. said...

FYI - I think I can see seven. One is a little more obscure so I am guessing a bit on what he is refering to. I will list them out later but I will wait because some of you will most likely find them all.

Doug

 
At Tuesday, February 26, 2008 3:13:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I can spot two...

 
At Wednesday, February 27, 2008 3:48:00 PM, Blogger Doug E. said...

Okay, So some of you may think I'm stretching a bit, and it may be true but these are the passages of Scripture that came to mind when I was reading this paragraph.

The first one is the obscure one.

When he talks about the hill set to look forward I think he was referencing Pisgah.

Numb. 21:20
Deut 3:27
Deut. 34:1

Here are the rest.

"Last Becomes first"

Matt. 19:30 The Last shall be first.

John 20:4 John outran Peter to the empty tomb

Christian gets Proud and falls

Prov. 16:18 Pride Goes before a fall

Christian cannot get up until Faithful helps him.

Ecc. 4:9-10 Two are better than one. If one falls the other will can help him up

Faithful is fleeing for his life.

Matt 3:7 flee the wrath to come

The Manslayer is after Faithful

This is taken from the typology found in the cities of refuge.
Josh. 20:3
Numb 35:21

Even if I am stretching it a bit I find the scriptural references in the book amazing.

God Bless,

Doug

 
At Thursday, February 28, 2008 8:40:00 AM, Blogger Rob Bailey said...

I am very comfortable with seven. Our church usually themes our VBS's on PP. This semester one of our adult SS classes is going through a Christian Life Issues class that uses PP as a study guide. It is good, taught by Wayne Mack.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home