Thursday, March 29, 2007

On Loving Those You Argue Against - Francis Schaeffer

"As I seek to do this [show a person the logical conclusions of his false presuppositions], I need to remind myself constantly that this is not a game I am playing. If I begin to enjoy it as a kind of intellectual exercise, then I am cruel and can expect no real spiritual results. As I push the man off his false balance, he must be able to feel that I care for him. Otherwise I will only end up destroying him, and the cruelty and ugliness of it all will destroy me as well. Merely to be abstract and cold is to show that I do not really believe this person to be created in God’s image and therefore one of my kind. Pushing him towards the logic of his presuppositions is going to cause him pain; therefore, I must not push any further than I need to."

-Francis Schaeffer, The God Who Is There-

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At Thursday, March 29, 2007 11:58:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a deep and meaningful thought. Many times people push to hard without giving the other person time to digest what is being said. Grace-filled speech is not something that is practiced very often. Thanks for the visit to my blog.

 
At Friday, March 30, 2007 3:29:00 PM, Blogger Modern Day Magi said...

If only more 'Christian' bloggers had read this...

MDM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home