Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Abraham's Bosom???


A friend and I were discussing the idea of Abraham's bosom; the idea that there was a holding tank in hell or for believers until Christ died on the cross. He believes there was, and I do not. This discussion is not of ultimate importance in Christianity, because either way you believe on this issue you are still a Christian. But we still want to line our lives up with what is actually true and not just what we think is true, so the topic does warrant our study to some degree.

The following is a verse that he wanted me to address and then you will see my response.

What about acts 2:31????? "that his soul was NOT LEFT in Hades.

I love that verse because it shows me that I won't be left in the grave either... (What a promise!!!) Neither will my body see corruption (parallelism).

When we read it in light of verse 27 we see David making the same praise. He knew that he would not see ultimate corruption because God would not leave him in the grave. (See v. 29 and 30 also)

Basically, Death has no power over the believer because of Christ and His resurrection.

When we look at verse 24 we see that the thrust of this passage has to do with the bodily resurrection of Christ, (dealing more with the state of His body than His soul) and knowing that the Greek word "Hades" can also mean "grave". The context seems to be speaking of the body in the grave.

Rock on :-)

Doug

I am not looking for a debate on this topic since I won't have a lot of time to put into the discussion, but what are your thoughts. I also realize that the key issues on this topic deal with whether or not the story of Lazarus and the Rich man is a parable or an actual event that took place, and the interpretation of 1 Peter 3:19. Are there any other verses you use in discussing your understanding of this issue?

Doug

Labels:

2 Comments:

At Friday, March 30, 2007 1:49:00 PM, Blogger Kyjo said...

Doug,

The way you're looking at Acts 2:31 seems to me to be just a little off. In v. 29, Peter says, "Brethren, I may confidently say to you regarding the patriarch David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day." The thrust of Peter's argument seems to be that David, because his body is still in the grave (and therefore has seen MUCH corruption), was speaking of Another to come, that is, Jesus.

Of course you are right, though, since we are in Christ, we have the joy of looking forward to being resurrected just as He was, and putting off our corruptible bodies for incorruptible ones.

I'm of the school that Abraham's Bosom is actually heaven (and heaven, after all, is in part a holding place for the souls of the redeemed until the Day of the Lord).

And as for I Pet. 3:19, I take it to mean that the Holy Spirit made proclamation in the days of Noah (implied: and through Noah) to those spirits who are (currently) in prison (i.e., hell) -- which, frankly, makes more sense in the overall thrust of Peter's writing than some esoteric doctrine about Christ descending into hell to release the OT saints. Peter is exhorting his readers to stand firm for the sake of righteousness, even if they must suffer -- because they will be vindicated by God, just as Christ and Noah also were.

 
At Friday, March 30, 2007 2:34:00 PM, Blogger Doug E. said...

Thanks Kyle,

I actually think we are in full agreement, but you just expressed it better than I did. :-)

Doug

 

Post a Comment

<< Home