Thursday, May 18, 2006

A Light in the Formation Fog.

Today was the second day in the Spiritual Formation Forum, and I must admit I was greatly refreshed by one of the workshops. Dr. Richard Averbeck did a lecture on the theology of Spiritual Formation. It was a wonderful light shining in the conference. He was not afraid to ground it in scripture. We studied the nature of man pre-fall and post-fall, and he made no mistake that this was the meta-narrative; the story of stories by which all stories must be judged. There was a lot he didn't cover like what he thinks about the Justification/Sanctification distinction, but what I heard was good. This was one lecture that showed the difference between some in the Spiritual Formation movement and the emergent church.

Praise God,

Doug

P.S. I will most likely be posting a post on the emergent church, but it is quite long.

1 Comments:

At Friday, May 19, 2006 8:58:00 PM, Blogger Doug E. said...

Kendall,

Someone once said, "Trying to define the emergent church is like trying to catch a fast-ball of jello, you'll get some of it but you won't have it all." I'm not familiar with the difference between the emerging church and the emergent church, but there could be. When I describe it I try to stick with the veiws of it leaders, but there will always be people in the church that will disagree.

Sorry if that didn't help,

Doug

P.S. I probably do the emergent post on Monday,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home