Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Self-Acquaintance


Self-Acquaintance
by William Cowper

Dear Lord! accept a sinful heart,
Which of itself complains,
And mourns, with much and frequent smart,
The evil it contains.

There fiery seeds of anger lurk,
Which often hurt my frame;
And wait but for the tempter's work,
To fan them to a flame.

Legality holds out a bribe
To purchase life from thee;
And discontent would fain prescribe
How thou shalt deal with me.

While unbelief withstands thy grace,
And puts the mercy by;
Presumption, with a brow of brass,
Says, "Give me, or I die."

How eager are my thoughts to roam
In quest of what they love!
But, ah! when duty calls them home,
How heavily they move!

Oh, cleanse me in a Saviour's blood,
Transform me by thy pow'r,
And make me thy belov'd abode,
And let me rove no more.

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, December 14, 2005 8:00:00 AM, Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

Would that we could each know ourselves as well....but to know HIM more...now that is the secret.

 
At Wednesday, December 14, 2005 2:58:00 PM, Blogger cousinjoe said...

Doug, I have a blog. Joe

 
At Thursday, December 15, 2005 8:38:00 PM, Blogger Motherhood is Here said...

I like old works for some reason. I just like the language more that modern stuff.

 
At Monday, December 19, 2005 8:10:00 AM, Blogger mark pierson said...

Wow!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home