Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The Benefits of Adversity


My Grace is sufficient for you, for my strength is made perfect in weakness. 2 Cor. 12:9

The Prayer

The daily battles never cease. Adversity is a companion I know too well. My strength is gone, and despair brings me low. I ask again for release from this, for I fear it will be the end of me. The enemy gathers to devour me. Their strength seems overwhelming. Lord, deliver me from this weakness. I see the wicked live in peace as I strive to do your will, and yet I suffer day by day. If it be your will end this suffering.

The Response

Then your word rings clear. "My Grace is sufficient for you". Three times you’ve cried for relief, because you believe this is holding you back. What you don’t see my child, is that this thorn you so much dread is one of my precious blessings which is not killing or holding you back, but spurring you on and giving you strength.

The death that you feel is the old nature dying and though you feel held back you’re actually moving more swiftly, because your focus is clear and your resolve is set on Me. Without this you would be easily distracted. Without this you would stumble in your own strength, and though Satan thinks he buffets, and your faith is being tested, I am crowning you with perseverance, character and hope.

Humility is another gift that is given though this and the broken and contrite I will never turn away. So walk on and know that I am sovereign and embrace the benefits of this adversity. For I alone am God and I know my children well, you will never be tested more than you can handle, and I will bring you home.

-Doug Eaton-

7 Comments:

At Wednesday, December 21, 2005 3:49:00 PM, Blogger Paula said...

this is really good. just been thinking about/reading/studying some similiar comments. Wow.

 
At Wednesday, December 21, 2005 5:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to know that we are going faster then we think towards eternal glory and that it is this body of Sin which is holding us back. It is great to know that we can trust in the Lords Grace.

 
At Wednesday, December 21, 2005 11:48:00 PM, Blogger Malia Spencer said...

Great stuff. Exactly the sort of encouragement I need right now with everything I've been going through lately.

I really appreciate the reminder.

 
At Thursday, December 22, 2005 8:41:00 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Praise God for his wisdom and timing!! Thanks for another really good post!

 
At Thursday, December 22, 2005 9:26:00 AM, Blogger mark pierson said...

Great post! As I said before, you have the gift of mercy. God has gifted you in such a way as to be able to minister to His Sheep and help them to look to Him in the middle of some very dark times.

Mark Pierson

 
At Thursday, December 22, 2005 9:33:00 AM, Blogger Doug E. said...

Thanks Mark,

I actually wrote that one about two years ago during a very difficult time, but God's mercy showed through. I actually wrote several devotions to calm my own trembling heart. I praise God that He is using them to bless others also. He is a good God!

Merry Christmas,

Doug

 
At Friday, December 23, 2005 9:54:00 AM, Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

Even in death He is working in us... for in Christ, Life springs from death

 

Post a Comment

<< Home