Friday, January 12, 2007

Sinfulness and Acceptance - Charles Simeon

I have continually had such a sense of my sinfulness as would sink me into utter despair, if I had not an assured view of the sufficiency and willingness of Christ to save me to the uttermost. And at the same time I had such a sense of my acceptance through Christ as would overset my little bark, if I had not ballast at the bottom sufficient to sink a vessel of no ordinary size.

There are but two objects that I have ever desired for these forty years to behold; the one is my own vileness; and the other is, the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ: and I have always thought that they should be viewed together; just as Aaron confessed all the sins of all Israel whilst he put them on the head of the scapegoat. The disease did not keep him from applying to the remedy, nor did the remedy keep him from feeling the disease. By this I seek to be, not only humbled and thankful, but humbled in thankfulness, before my God and Saviour continually.

-Charles Simeon-

2 Comments:

At Saturday, January 13, 2007 11:19:00 AM, Blogger Kim said...

I fail everyday to be perfect, but the Lord in me is perfect everyday. I guess it's a matter of choice. Do I choose to express my Lord or express myself? If only I were always conscious of my choices. Sometimes my choices are simply reactions.

Maybe one day after spending alot of time with my Lord, (As is done in every good relationship) His Spirit in me will over take my own will and fix that.

Thanks for causing me to think.

 
At Monday, February 12, 2007 10:13:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I happened across your website today and noticed you mentioned Charles Simeon. Recently, we at Logos Bible Software have acquired all 21 volumes of Horae Homileticae, with the intention of developing an electronic version. The Logos edition of Horae Homileticae will be fully searchable, and able to be synchronized to scroll with any Bible version already in Logos, making this esteemed work even more useful to Bible study and sermon creation. And you can help us see this through to production! Contact me for more info: zrock@logos.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home