Thursday, February 16, 2006

All I Need I Have in Christ


And he [Samson] was sore athirst, and called on the LORD, and said, Thou hast given this great deliverance into the hand of thy servant: and now shall I die for thirst, and fall into the hand of the uncircumcised? Judges 15:18

It seems that many times when we have been strengthened by God and have done something great for the Lord we soon after find ourselves panting as if we were going to die, confounded by our weakness. That is why I find this passage about Samson so encouraging. Here is a man that by the strength of God killed thousands of the enemies of Israel, and then, moments later, finds himself about to die from the lack of something as simple as water. When God gives us some sort of victory in doing His work, it is easy to begin to see ourselves as stronger than we really are. So the Lord allows situations to arise that keep us dependent upon him. We often thank the Lord for His grace in times of triumph, but how often do we forget to thank Him for our times of defeat. If all things really work for the good of those that love Him, then grace comes in many forms. It comes in strength, but it also comes in defeats by showing us our weaknesses.

When we are on top it is easy to begin to think that this is where true life and happiness are to be found. We start to crave more of it. Success breeds the desire for more success. Until, if God does not show us our weaknesses, we begin to think that this is what we need to be happy, that this is what life is about. And without it contentment begins to disappear. But Christ calls out to us and says, don’t find your hope and peace in the good or the bad times, find it in Me, I am your salvation. Being in weakness has a way of shaking from our hands many of the earthly things we think we need, because through grace, it causes us to set our eyes on eternity, by realizing that we are not invincible.

I can remember one beautiful summer night we had a barbeque with the family. It was one of those times when you are usually at peace enjoying the cool summer evening. But this particular night I was miserable. I had been suffering with a chronic illness for some time. I didn’t know if I would ever have enjoyment again, but I remember in that moment, a thought came to me about finding my sufficiency in Christ. It didn’t matter if, through suffering, I would ever enjoy another moment of this life. I have Christ! What else do I need? Our true victory is not found in the conditions of this life, even if our victories are Godly. Our victory is found in Christ.

When the Lord opens us this hollow place, and the truths of Christ’s sufficiency begins to run toward us, we find ourselves revived even if the land is still parched.

Doug

10 Comments:

At Friday, February 17, 2006 3:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug,
How we need to learn that this life is not about us. It is about the glory of our Lord.
The tragedies of life truly only humble us to remind us of Him and His greatness.
It may sound trite, but He is still working on me.

 
At Friday, February 17, 2006 6:28:00 PM, Blogger no_average_girl said...

many times, it is so easy to think we are indeed invincible when we are in fact only a step or two from disaster. thanks for the reminder!

 
At Friday, February 17, 2006 6:48:00 PM, Blogger Nephos said...

This is so essential. Thanks for this post. It was what I needed for this time.

 
At Friday, February 17, 2006 11:03:00 PM, Blogger Correy said...

Well put Doug. For everything is contained in Jesus. There is nothing apart from Jesus that we need.

Salvation is in Jesus alone.
Eternal Life is in Jesus alone.
All knowledge is in Jesus alone.
The Truth is in Jesus alone
The fullness of deity is in Jesus alone.
... and the list goes on

 
At Saturday, February 18, 2006 5:36:00 AM, Blogger Vicki Davis @coolcatteacher said...

Two of my friends (a pastor and his wife) lost their first born 21 year old son the other day to a tragic one car accident.

They are a testimony of faith. At the funeral everyone was solemn and weeping and here comes blaring "My Father's House" over the PA. The mother and father came down the ailse with faces glowing. In grief but with faces glowing.

The service was a worship service of Jesus Christ. They walked out to My Father's House and served to comfort everyone else who cried including their son's whole fraternity.

The hospital where their son went to be with the Lord is still talking about their faith amidst agony.

It is things like that that remind us that we all thirst. We thirst for Jesus Christ for without Him we can do nothing!

Thank you for the post!

 
At Saturday, February 18, 2006 9:02:00 AM, Blogger Gordon said...

When we find that Christ is all that we have, we find that He is all that we need.

Wonderful thoughts.

 
At Saturday, February 18, 2006 8:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder Doug. I too have a "chronic situation" healing my come to both of us some day. Even if it doesn't we can know that we have all we need in Jesus.

 
At Monday, February 20, 2006 8:41:00 AM, Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

Hallelujah! Yeah and Amen! Success means nothing, failure the same...Christ is ALL and in all. He is ENOUGH!

 
At Wednesday, February 22, 2006 6:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Doug, I'm a little behind here. But I just wanted to say that this makes me think of two things:
"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us" Romans 8:18,
Also a quote from a book by Randy Alcorn, "Real gold fears no fire" Both of these are very comforting to me, the second reminding me that the fire is burning away the impurities. The first reminding me that there is NOTHING that can compare to what is awaiting us in heaven.
Sorry I'm not very good at putting things into words. I think I'll use you now and then to work on that.
Love Ya!!!

 
At Wednesday, February 22, 2006 9:03:00 PM, Blogger Doug E. said...

Hey Gail,

Your words seemed to make perfect sense to me. I know for me with my digestive problems, it's good to know that God is perfect in all His dealings even if I don't fully understand it. I have to admit though I DO fear the fire from time to time.
:-)

But I know it's all for good.

Tell the family I said hi,

Doug

 

Post a Comment

<< Home